The Club
Club History

231215The Lansdown Club has a fascinating history attached to it which begins over 100 years ago.

On 13 September 1882 a group of enthusiasts got together to form The Lansdown Private Lawn Tennis Club with a limit of fifty members. A lease was negotiated with Charlecombe Church and a local farmer for land between Richmond Road and Lansdown Road which included an unused Racquets court which has been there for many years.

Within a few years, demand for membership was so great that it was agreed to make the club open to any members.

Many improvements were made to the facilities and playing surfaces and between 1923 and 1925 the club purchased its present land from the church and also land from a local builder for a consideration of £1,250.

In 1970 negotiations took place to amalgamate with Lansdown Squash Club which owned land in St Stephens Road. This land was sold to Bath University and the proceeds funded the construction of four new courts behind the existing Clubhouse and changing rooms. Around this time a grassed area on the lower level land had started to be used for Croquet.

In 1979 the Club took its first steps towards converting the grass tennis courts to astroturf and converting the ‘birdcage’ grass tennis court into a second Croquet Lawn, allowing the Croquet section to expand. Over the next fifteen years all the grass courts were replaced by astroturf courts and the three lower courts were covered with macadam.

The astroturf courts transformed the tennis section of the Club and membership numbers grew steadily. Floodlighting was also introduced in the 1970’s, and in 1997 a Club member re-designed the Clubhouse.

In 2015, four of the astroturf courts were converted to artificial clay courts and these have proved very popular with members and visitors alike.

Some artefacts showing this amazing history are on display in the Clubroom. These include photos, trophies and the honour boards above the Bar.

England Squash

England Squash and Racketball

The Club Charter is a progressive club development programme that aims to increase the number of adults and juniors playing squash and Racketball in clubs, increase the recruitment, education and development of coaches and volunteers, and improve the infrastructure of our club network.  The Club Charter is linked to Sport England’s Clubmark award.  Put simply, by achieving Club Charter status, we have shown our commitment to offer a welcoming environment, set high standards in child protection, and work closely with local schools to develop the future generations of squash and Racketball players.

Activ Bath

Activ Bath

Club Mark

Club Mark

Sport England recognises and values the commitment made by the Lansdown Club to develop high quality, welcoming environments for young participants. The development of clubs that encourage young people to take-up sport, improve their talents, possibly play a leadership role and give them the option to initiate and maintain life-long participation in sport is an essential part of supporting the sporting infrastructure in England. The Lansdown Club are proud to have been recognised for achieving the standards necessary to obtain the Clubmark award.